Affidavit of Lewis H. Fox

Case of Amelia E. Frink No. 212,625 on this eleventh day of January 1887, at Pitcher, County of Chenango, State of New York, before me Sam Houston, a Special Examiner of the Pension Office, personally appeared Lewis H. Fox, who being by me first duly sworn to answer truly all interrogatories propounded to him during this Special Examination of aforesaid pension claim, deposes and says

That he is 47 years of age, a farmer and his P.O. address is as above.

I was a member of Co. B, 76th NY Vol. I enlisted in said organization October 10, 1861 and served as a private and corporal until mustered out March 3, 1865.

I was captured may 5, 1864 and was a prisoner of war from that time until in the winter of 1864-65 when I was exchanged. I cannot state date of my exchange nor when I reached our lines.

I was exchanged at Charleston, S.C. and then sent to Annapolis, Md. After arriving at Annapolis I was granted a furlough for 30 days and came home. I was not however able to return at the expiration of my furlough and my physician told me he had it extended. I do not know for how long it was extended but it was not over 30 days and I then went at the expiration of the extension to Elmira, N.Y. and was there discharged March 3, 1865.

I knew a private in my company named Jerome W. Frink. He was not known to me as Fink or Frank. I always understood his name was Frink.

I got to know him very well in the service. He was about 5 ft 10 inches in height. Quite slim. Weigh about 140 lbs, perhaps. Hair, light brown - Blue eyes- Light complexion. His neck was longer than usual.

I think he was wounded at Gettysburg, Pa. I think it was a gun shot wound. I cannot fix locality now but he would if living have a scar.

I also remember he had some trouble with this old wound while we were in Andersonville prison. He had Scurvy and the old wound broke out.

He was quite young when he enlisted. I do not think he was over 16 years of age at enlistment.

At the same time I was captured the soldier Jerome W. Frink was captured. I do not now remember how many others were captured at same time but I do remember that Ord. Sgt. H. G. Warner of Cuyler, Cortland Co., NY, William Crozier of Pitcher, Chenango Co., N.Y., Daniel W. Fox, now of Milwaukee, Wis. were captured with us and were prisoners with us. Nickolas Martin, Kimball, Morgan, Hibbird, Everett Fuller, Amos Minor were also captured at same time, but all died while prisoners.

Jerome W. Frink died at Florence, S.C. outside of the stockade a short distance from the railroad, on or about October 21, 1864.

We were captured on the skirmish line at the battle of the Wilderness, Va. When first captured we remained at Lee Head Quarters all night and was the next morning taken to Orange Court House, Va.

We were kept at Orange Court House one night and were then taken to Gordonsville. We stayed there one night and then to Lynchburg we were kept about 3 days, then to Danville for 3 or 4 days, and then to Andersonville where we were kept about 4 months and then sent to Florence, S.C.

When we were taken out of the cars at Florence, S.C. there were a large number of the prisoners who were unable to walk to the stockade and they were left near the railroad amongst those left there was Jerome W. Frink, Everett Fuller and Amos Minor.

I was also left there and being in somewhat better condition than the above named members of my company I tried to help them.

I remember I got some Sumac bobs and made a tea of them which I drank and gave these men to drink. I also got blackberry root and made tea for them. I do not remember whether I got the Sumac bobs from a man who was there that they called Doctor or whether I gathered them myself. I gathered the blackberry root myself.

Jerome W. Frink died there about 2 or 3 weeks after we arrived. I can not fix the date exactly. I think all 3 of these members of my company viz. Frink, Fuller and Minor died the same night and I think were all buried in the same trench.

I think we arrived at Florence from Andersonville about October 1, 1864.

I think it was from one to 2 miles from the railroad to the stockade. The stockade at Florence was built the same as that at Andersonville by setting sticks of hewn timber on end in a trench and then backed up with dirt on the outside.

I was taken into the stockade soon after Frink died. All those able to walk from the cars to the stockade were put in it when we first arrived at Florence.

Frink had the Scurvy and the diarrhoea and also had a bad cough. He contracted these diseases at Andersonville and was quite sick when we left there.

I fix the date of Frinks death in this way. I remember just before he died we talked about our term of service being out. My time was out on the 10th of October and that talk occurred just about the time my service was up and I think he lived 10 or 11 days after the talk. I also fix that date because Fuller who died there at the same time kept a diary and the last entry in his diary was on October 8, 1864 and I think he was unable to write about 2 weeks before he died.

I am positive that the Jerome W. Frink who was a member of Co. B, 76th N.Y. Vol. died and was buried between the railroad and the prison stockade at Florence, S.C. in the month of October 1864 and on or about the 21st of that month.

I did not know Jerome W. Frink before he enlisted nor did I know any member of his family at that time nor since except that in November last I was a witness at Auburn term of N.Y.C. Court and was introduced to an old woman as Amelia Frink the mother of Jerome W. Frink also to a man as James Frink brother of Jerome Frink but I know nothing personally as to their relationship.

I cannot recall ever having heard Jerome W. Frink speaking of his family or relatives in the service. I was not able to trace a particle of resemblance in the James C. Frink I was introduced to at Auburn the brother of Jerome W. Frink and the Jerome W. Frink of my Co. The James C. Frink I met at Auburn is taller than Jerome. Is larger boned, quite a little darker in complexion and no resemblance in features. I should not have taken them for brothers. I was unable to see any resemblance between Jerome W. Frink and the woman I was introduced to as his mother.

I made an affidavit in this case last September or October. I received last August a letter from Mr. H.L. Barnes of North Pharsalia asking me what I knew of Jerome W. Frinks death. I wrote him that Frink died at Florence, S.C. Some time afterward a one armed man named Weaver came to see me in relation to Jerome's death and I made and gave him an affidavit (showing affidavit dated September 2, 1886) that is my signature. Since making that affidavit I have been thinking and talking with comrades and I have concluded I was then mistaken as to distance from railroad to stockade also as to the time from our arrival at Florence until the death of Frink, Fuller and Minor.

I am now satisfied the statement I have made to-day is correct. I made the tea of Sumac bobs and of blackberry root in a pan I made out of a sheet of iron I tore from the roof of an old box car which was standing near to where we were at Florence.

I understand the questions you have asked me and my answers are correctly recorded in this description.

/s/ Lewis H. Fox.

NOTE: William Crozier also gave an affidavit in the Frink pension case.

Transcribed by Conrad Bush. Additional files in Bush files listed in separate page.

Back to 76th NYSV Roster (F)

Return to Letters from the 76th NY

Back to 76th NY home page

- last updated December 24, 1999