Was born at Willet, Cortland county, N.Y., March third, 1832. He received a common school education, attending for a time the Cortlandville academy. When he entered the service, he was en­gaged in farming. With his brother-in-law, Lieutenant Van Slyck he attempted to raise a company, but the unexpected march of the Regiment to Albany, disappointed their hopes, and their men were distributed among other companies, and the subject of this sketch was made Sergeant-Major of the Regiment. He was promoted to Second Lieutenant of Company I January seventeenth, 1862, and to First Lieutenant of Company G, in July, 1862. 

At the battle of Gettysburg, July first, 1863, he fell severely wounded, the ball passing through his arm and into his body, from which it was afterwards extracted. While in the service he was engaged, with the Regiment, in the following battles: Rappahannock Station, Warrenton Springs, Gainesville, Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg. At the battle of Bull Run he was taken prisoner, paroled and sent to Annapolis, and did not return until after the battle of Antietam. He resigned October twenty ninth, 1863, on account of his wound, which still very much affects his strength and ability to labor. 

There were others who made more pretensions, but there were few truer soldiers than Lieutenant Fisher. He has returned to his occupation of farming, at Whitney's Point, Broome county, N. Y.

The biography above is from the 1867 Regimental history by A.P. Smith. 


Lt John Fisher was my great grandfather and I have some information on him.  

The following are articles of his passing, obituaries from the newspaper of Friendship, NY I am in posession of the original news clippings.  His daughter Katherine delivered my father 5 days after his death.  

I also have the original copy of Lt. John Fisher's will and a hand written letter dated 1903 from Lt. Edward D. Van Slyck's wife to Lt. John Fisher in regard to John's loss of his second wife to breast cancer, if any Van Slyck family member of his would be interested in it. Please feel free to contact me with any matter pertaining to the above. Thanks for your help.

Joyce Bush Cubley


John Fisher, for many years a resident of this place, died at the home of his daughter Mrs. I. M. Bush of Hornell, Tuesday November 23m 1909 at the age of 77 years, after an illness of almost 5 weeks.  Mr. Fisher was very ill some time ago with pneumonia a but had so far recovered as to visit his friends and relatives here, but he went on a fishing expedition with several Friendship friends recently and took cold, which terminated in his death. 
     Deceased was a highly respected citizen and had a host of friends here, by whom he will be greatly missed. 
     He is survived by two children-Ross Fisher of East St. Louis and Mrs (Katherine) Ira M. Bush of Hornell.
     His remains will be brought here Friday and services will be held at the M.E. Church at 2:30 p.m.,
 Rev. J. W. Sanborn Officiating.  Cuba Lodge, No 691, I.O.O.F., of which he was a member will
conduct  the services at the grave.  The G.A.R., of which he was also a member and the W.R.O.
 will attend in a body. 


John Fisher- At his home in Hornell, N.Y. Nov 23 1909 John Fisher aged 77 years Comrade Fisher was late First Lieutenant Co. G, 76thth N.Y. and was also a member of the odd fellows.  Comrade Fisher is survived by one son and two daughters and four grand children.                                                     


Resolutions Adopted by Hatch Post, G.A.R. No. 241    With sincere sorrow we are called upon to recognize the death of our beloved comrade, John Fisher.  The unexpected termination of his life came as a shock to us all.  During his long membership in our order, we found him a warm hearted fraternalist.  His quiet loyal unselfish demeanor a all times cannot fail to enrich his memory.
     Resolved, That the sympathy of Hatch Post be extended to the bereaved family and our Charter be draped for thirty days, in his memory.  A. L. Wicks, D.L. Corbin,  O. P. Dana Committee. 


At a regular meeting of the Henrietta Rebekah Lodge the following resolution was adopted:

Whereas, In this summons one was called who will be missed from our Fraternal Band, be it.

Beloved that our Charter be draped for a period of 30 days; that these resolutions be spread on our minutes a copy sent to the bereaved family and also published in Friendship Register   

Ellen Kellogg, Mary J. Moll, Fred Wilcox, committee.

Gettysburg Veteran

76th NY Veteran Assn.

GAR medal

Lt. Fisher's medals (all postwar)
Appeared on eBay in June 2002

Return to 76th Roster (F)

Return to Letters from the 76th NY

Return to 76th NYSV Homepage

- Last Updated February 26, 2006